Saturday 11 June 2011

Reflect and Connect: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

A timeless classic - that is something you can never go wrong with. I really enjoyed "Frankenstein" because it used old-style Victorian language, immense amounts of detail, and multitudes of other attention-grabbing factors. The setting was Geneva, Austria, surrounding regions, and at one point, London, England. I felt that the settings enhanced the story by casting a sort of 'gloomy aura' on the events which took place. This was a nice advantage since it helped me imagine the story, and feel like I was observing the different plots unfold.

Despite the conflicting opinions of some of my peers, the characters in the story seemed very real, and I could relate to their emotions, especially the isolation which Frankenstein's creature experienced when it realized that its existence was frowned upon by the human populace. The authenticity was heightened greatly by the language which the monster used, which seemed very humane and developed.

Although I felt that  I could relate to every character in some ways, the one which I share prominent personality traits with is Victor Frankenstein. Victor Frankenstein is young, and often dives straight into tasks without considering the possible consequences, or how to solve big mistakes, as do I. Also, Victor seemed to be quite a perfectionist, because he had spent years creating the creature, and I also seem to be quite the perfectionist when it comes to school work and other tasks.

I don't recall any part of the book making me particularly uncomfortable (story-wise), but at times the language seemed overwhelming, and I had to resort to looking a few words up in the dictionary.
Even though "Frankenstein" did not cause me to realize anything new about myself or my life, after finishing the novel, I felt satisfied to have read the actual story instead of going on thinking that the many different takes on the story are really what happened.

1 comment: